Our removal guide gives a detailed overview and instructions on removing the Satan ransomware, a new computer threat which is possibly an independent creation capable of being used as a Ransomware-As-a-service (RaaS) platform.
|You can skip all steps and remove Satan with the help of an anti-malware tool.|
|Satan ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|Spam Email Campaigns, malicious ads & etc.|
Satan Ransomware Description
The Satan ransomware is new and probably independent project that has been created by an independent developer or a hacker group.
This malware is different from the others that we have seen lately, it aims to be a platform for launching attacks and promotes itself as a budding RaaS (ransomware-as-a-Service).
Computer hackers can use it to customize their own variants. Upon infection, depending on the configuration, the virus may initiate various system modifications. The encryption module uses the AES cipher to encrypt target user file type extensions.
When the encryption process is complete the following message is displayed to the victims:
Satan is a free to use ransomware kit, you only need to register on the site to start making your viruses. Satan only requires a user name and password to create an account, althrough, if you wish, you can set a public key for two-factor authentication. Satan has a initial fee of 30% over the victim’s payment, however, this fee will get lower as you get more infections and payments. All of the user transactions are covered bv the server, you’ll always get what the victim paid, minus the fee of course.
When creating your malware you can specify the ransom value (in bitcoins), a multiplier for the ransom after X days have passed, the number of days after the multiplier takes place, a private note so you can keep track of your victims.
• Satan is free. You just have to register on the site.
• Satan is very easy to deploy, you can create your ransomware in less than a minute.
• Satan uses TOR and Bitcoin for anonymity.
• Satan’s executable is only 170kb.
If english is not your first language or you speak a second language you can translate the ransom notes to help your victims understand better what is happening.
In case you’re looking for a way to spread the ransomware, there is a droppers page, where you can generate a crude code for a Microsoft Word macro and CHM file.
If you have any problem with the ransomware, you can report it using the leftmost button on the malwares table. The middle blue button is used to update the malware to a newer version, if available, and the green one is used to edit your malware configuration.
The payment gateway also gives more information about the RaaS Satan ransomware platform:
What is Satan?
Apart from the mythological creature, Satan is a ransomware, a malicious software that once opened in a Windows system, encrypts all the files, and demands a ransom for the decryption tools.
How to make money with Satan?
First of all, you’ll need to sign up. Once you’ve sign up, you’ll have to log in to your account, create a new virus and download it. Once you’ve downloaded your newly created virus, you’re ready to start infecting people.
Now, the most important part: the bitcoin paid by the victim will be credited to your account. We will keep a 30% fee of the income, so, if you specified a 1 BTC ransom, you will get 0.7 BTC and we will get 0.3 BTC. The fee will become lower depending on the number of infections and payments you have.
Satan Ransomware Distribution
The Satan Ransomware is distributed using a few different methods. The primary sources are email spam messages that may also use various phishing methods to trick the user into installing the malware.
The other distribution technique is to bundle it as a payload delivered by infected macros in various documents. The captured samples suggest that they include Microsoft Word files and CHM help files. Targets can get infected also by exploit kits and various infected binary files.
Satan Ransomware – How To Remove it and Prevent It From Coming Back
There are two ways of removal:
- With an anti-malware tool – this will also help prevention
- Manually – using the instructions below
The Satan ransomware is a dangerous potential RaaS platform which can be used by hackers worldwide to launch devastating ransomware campaigns. The malware has an extensive code base which can be further updated and customized to create unique viruses with their own signatures.
This is why it is very important to use a trusted anti-spyware tool to protect your computers from harm.
Satan Ransomware Removal
Remove Satan ransomware with a few mouse clicks – run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete Satan completely.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely Satan Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 2) Use professional data recovery software
- – Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery – a specialist tool that can restore partitions, data, documents, photos, and 300 more file types lost during various types of incidents and corruption.
- 3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
- 4) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.