ProgressHandler appears to be a potentially unwanted program that gets installed on Mac computers along with the other freeware programs. At the moment of writing this article, ProgressHandler is known to be actively infecting Mac operating systems via shady propagation techniques. As long as ProgressHandler remains installed on your Mac it is able to collect information that may directly or indirectly identify you. Additionally, your web browser is likely to be flooded with many annoying ads. Since these ads may be related to hacked websites, you should avoid any interactions with them.
Remove ProgressHandler and Secure macOS
ProgressHandler Manual Removal Guide
Skip all steps and download anti-malware tool that will safely scan and clean your Mac.
Run a free scan and check if your Mac is infected with malware.
Distribution of ProgressHandler
Potentially unwanted programs such as ProgressHandler Mac are distributed via the so-called “bundling” method. Thus, the undesired program is promoted via rogue installation set-ups that do not disclose properly all apps that are to be installed. If you skip selecting the ” Advanced /Custom” settings, ProgressHandler hijacks browsers and modify various settings imperceptibly.
Impact of ProgressHandler Mac Virus
The ProgressHandler also known as Adware.MacOS.ProgressHandler is an unwanted program that is designed to affect Mac operating systems. Its installation tends to happen behind users’ backs. The program is part of a large network of similar threats that all seek to impact the victim’s security and privacy.
It follows the traditional browser infection patterns by modifying the most important settings on the victim software. Usually, the criminals target the most popular ones (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari).
Basic threats usually alter only the three basic parameters related to the browser behavior at first launch: new tabs page, default search engine and home page. As soon as this is done the victims will be redirected to a hoax home page or a copied version of a popular search engine like Yahoo or Bing.
The use of a complex multi-stage redirect used by the undesired program can lead to malware delivery with viruses, malware, ransomware and etc. This is the reason why these threats must be removed immediately upon infection.
Like other similar PUPs for Mac, the ProgressHandler institutes tracking cookies that monitor and track all user behavior which is reported back to the program operators. This privacy-invasive tactic is used to make profiles of the users, including their preferences and interests which is gathered in a database shared with all other products operated by the company owner. As the ProgressHandler infects the web browsers it can also extract sensitive information such as the following: history, bookmarks, preferences, cookies, account credentials and passwords.
One of the most dangerous aspects of ProgressHandler being active on a Mac is the chance of obtaining administration rights. For the purpose, the app can generate a pop-up that displays the following message “ProgressHandler will damage your computer”. Do not allow the program what it requests. Otherwise, it may let hackers deliver additional malware to steal sensitive data.
ProgressHandler Mac Removal Guide
If your system is showing infection symptoms, you should definitely take action and remove ProgressHandler and related files from your macOS. The sooner the better! Below you can find our step-by-step Mac virus removal instructions that give you the opportunity to get rid of ProgressHandler either manually or automatically. If you don’t feel comfortable with manual instructions, download a reliable ProgressHandler removal tool that will scan your Mac system for malware and clean it safely for you. If any questions arise, or additional help is needed leave us a comment.
How to Remove ProgressHandler on a Mac Manually
Remove ProgressHandler and related files from OSX.
- 1. Force Quit all suspicious applications.
Go to the Apple menu in the upper-left corner of your screen and choose Force Quit option.
You will see a list of all currently running applications. Go find ProgressHandler, select it and then navigate to the “Force Quit” button. You can also find the last application you installed on your Mac and stop it as well.
Since software bundling is a common propagation method, the ProgressHandler may get installed along with the lastly installed application and their activities on the system may be related.
- 2. Remove ProgressHandler and other related potentially unwanted applications from the Applications folder.
Open the Finder and select the Applications menu. Then search for the unwanted application and drag it to the Trash.
- 3. Мanually look for ProgressHandler in the Libraries of your Mac.
WARNING! You are about to tamper with Library files on Mac. Make sure that you know the name of the virus file. Deleting the wrong file may cause irreversible damage to your MacOS.
Select Go from the top menu bar and navigate to Go to Folder…
When the window appear start entering the following folder locations one by one:
In each folder look for any recently-added suspicious files and move them to the Trash. Examples of files generated by adware:
Remove ProgressHandler From Your Browser
Remove suspicious browser extensions that can be responsible for the appearance of invasive pop-ups and browser redirects.
2. Click on the “Extensions” tab. If you see a suspicious or unwanted extension, select it and click “Uninstall“.
3. Reset Safari web browser. Beware that this step will remove the history as well as some of your saved data. Before you proceed we recommend that you make sure to write down all passwords, logins and important details.
If you are using Safari version 9 or higher open the browser and go to “Preferences“. Then select the “Privacy” tab. When the window appears on screen click on the “Remove All Website Data” button.
In case that your Safari web browser is running a version from 5 to 8, then just select Safari on the top menu bar and click on “Reset Safari” option. Choose which data to be cleaned from the browser.
2. Click “Extensions” in the left menu. Then click on the trash bin icon to remove the suspicious extension.
3. Again in the left menu, under Chrome, Click on “Settings“. Go under “On Startup” and set a new page.
4. Afterward, scroll down to “Search“, click on “Manage search engines“.
5. In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on “X“. Then select your search engine of choice and click “Make default“. When you are ready click “Done” button in the right bottom corner.
1. Start Mozilla Firefox. In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select “Add-ons“.
2. Inside the Add-ons Manager select “Extensions“. Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click “Remove“.
3. Click again on the Open menu icon, then click “Options“.
4. In the Options window, under “General” tab, click “Restore to Default“.
5. Select “Search” in the left menu, mark the unknown search engine and press “Remove”.
Remove ProgressHandler from a Mac Automatically
While the above steps work very well in most of the cases when users’ OSX is infected with PUP or malware, sometimes the Mac virus removal requires the help of a professional application. This anti-malware tool will scan and remove malware from your Mac. It offers an active protection shield and comes with a variety of handy features that will keep your system fast, clean, and secure.DOWNLOAD Antivirus for Mac