A new infection known as the ShellLocker Ransomware Virus was detected by malware researchers and anti-virus software. The virus locks the files of the victim PC by encrypting them. That means that the data can only be accessed after being decrypted. To do that, the user needs a key that the crooks behind the virus are selling. The problem with buying the key is that the scammers can continue the racket and ask for more money of simply ignore your payment. In this article, we’ll explore a few options that are preferable.
|$100 in BTC|
|You can skip all steps and remove ShellLocker with the help of an anti-malware tool.|
|ShellLocker ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|Email Spam, exploit kits.|
How Does ShellLocker Spread?
The ShellLocker ransomware virus gets into your computer through the ever popular email spam. This way of entry relies heavily on deception. Users click on connections that seem harmless.
Letters that look like invoices, automated reply systems, letters from the bank, and others. The emails contain attachments that are malicious and jump-start the ShellLocker ransomware virus.
ShellLocker Ransomware Virus – How To Protect Your Computer?
If you want to avoid viruses like ShellLocker, then you should avoid:
- Opening email spam
- Downloading email .ZIP attachments
- Giving your email address to shady websites
How Does ShellLocker Work?
The virus gets into your system and encrypts your files.
The files affected by ShellLocker will have the .L0cked extension at the end of their name and will be randomized.
The virus targets the following types of data:
- Audio files
The ransomware will scan the system for the files. ShellLocker looks for particular extensions that fit the targeted groups above.
ShellLocker Ransomware Virus – Remove and Restore
You can remove the virus and fix your computer with the help of an anti-malware program like SpyHunter 4. Cyber-protection is crucial in our day and age.
A recent study showed that the number of ransomware infections has increased to 800k+ in Q3 2016. Don’t be part of this grim statistic.
ShellLocker Ransomware Removal
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete ShellLocker completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely ShellLocker Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 1) Use present backups
2) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.