pcbooster.biz Browser Hijacker Overview
pcbooster.biz is a new malicious site that is used alongside with several web redirects and scripts. Dangerous add-ons have also contributed to the creation of a pcbooster.biz browser hijacker that is distributed on different hacker-controlled download sites. Upon infection with them the settings of the relevant web browsers are changed. This includes the most popular applications: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
Such actions also pose a danger to the privacy of the affected victims as the add-ons are able to extract sensitive information that is relayed to the hacker operators. Examples include the stored cookies, history, bookmarks, passwords, account credentials and settings. This makes the pcbooster.biz browser hijacker a very useful tool for ID theft. Its goal is to redirect the victims by changing the default search engine, new tabs page or home page to the hacker-controlled site.
The aim of the pcbooster.biz browser hijacker operators is to redirect the users to their site. It is used to offer affiliate computer applications. At the moment a system utility is being offered using a template that resembles a genuine download site. To further gain the trust of the victims the hackers have posted various links and graphics to renowned and popular sources. It is important to note that the site is not a legitimate one and it is not the official source for downloading or purchasing the software. There is a real risk of downloading an infected file that can install all sorts of viruses on the victim computers – from Trojans to ransomware.
- Information is being gathered in both “active” and “passive” ways – even just opening up the site starts to generate data for analysis.
- Detailed information is gathered about every visitor: site usage information, customer & site feedback, newsletter registration and purchase tracking.
- All cookies are tracked by the site owners.
The site creators have protected the domain information nd have remained anonymous, a practice that is usual with scammers. In addition they have provided an email address for support queries that is hosted on another site: [email protected] We suspect that the site is part of a large hacker-controlled affiliate network. The pcbooster.biz browser hijacker is merely a part of the overall scheme.
It can be acquired by downloading add-ons from third-party repositories or sites that pose as legitimate download sources.
Remove pcbooster.biz Browser Hijacker and Restore Your PC
WARNING! Manual removal of the pcbooster.biz virus requires being familiar with system files and registries. Removing important data accidentally can lead to permanent system damage. If you don’t feel comfortable with manual instructions, download a powerful anti-malware tool that will scan your system for malware and clean it safely for you.
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
pcbooster.biz Virus – Manual Removal Steps
Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently. The steps bellow are applicable to all Windows versions.
1. Hit the WIN Key + R
2. A Run window will appear. In it, write msconfig and then press Enter
3. A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named Boot
4. Mark Safe Boot option and then go to Network under it to tick it too
5. Apply -> OK
Remove pcbooster.biz from Windows
Here’s a way to remove the program. This method will work regardless if you’re on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP. Simply selecting the program and pressing delete won’t work, as it’ll leave a lot of small files. That’s bad because these leftovers can linger on and cause all sorts of problems. The best way to delete a program is to uninstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
1. Hold the “Windows” button (It’s between CTRL and Alt on most keyboards) and press “R”. You’ll see a pop-up window.
2. In the textbox, type “appwiz.cpl”, then press“ Enter ”.
3. The “Programs and features” menu should now appear. It’s a list of all the programs installed on the PC. Here you can find the program, select it, and press “Uninstall“.
Remove pcbooster.biz Virus From Your Browser
Before resetting your browser’s settings, you should know that this action will wipe out all your recorded usernames, passwords, and other types of data. Make sure to save them in some way.
- 1. Start Mozilla Firefox. In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select “Add-ons“.
2. Inside the Add-ons Manager select “Extensions“. Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click “Remove“.
3. Click again on the Open menu icon, then click “Options“.
4. In the Options window, under “General” tab, click “Restore to Default“.
5. Select “Search” in the left menu, mark the unknown search engine and press “Remove”.
- 1. Start Google Chrome. On the upper-right corner, there a “Customize and Control” menu icon. Click on it, then click on “Settings“.
2. Click “Extensions” in the left menu. Then click on the trash bin icon to remove the suspicious extension.
3. Again in the left menu, under Chrome, Click on “Settings“. Go under “On Startup” and set a new page.
4. Afterward, scroll down to “Search“, click on “Manage search engines“.
5. In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on “X“. Then select your search engine of choice and click “Make default“. When you are ready click “Done” button in the right bottom corner.
2. In the “Manage add-ons” window, bellow “Add-on Types“, select “Toolbars and Extensions“. If you see a suspicious toolbar, select it and click “Remove“.
3. Then again in the “Manage Add-ons” window, in “Add-on Types“, Select “Search Providers“. Chose a search engine and click “Set as default“. Select the unknown search engine and click “Remove and Close”.
4. Open the Tools menu, select “Internet Options”.
5. In the “General” tab, in “Home page”, enter your preferred page. Click “Apply” and “OK”.
Repair Windows Registry
1. Again type simultaneously the WIN Key + R key combination
2. In the box, write regedit and hit Enter
3. Type the CTRL+ F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4. In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys