SosoDesktop is the name of a browser hijacker, which can also be considered an adware program. SosoDesk (short) can be downloaded from the hijacker’s site, SosoDesktop(.com), but it’s possible to get it into your system from other places. If the homepage, new tab page, or default search engine of your browser were changed without your insolvent, you’re likely “hijacked”. Browsers that can fall victim to this malicious tactic are Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and other mainstream programs. To learn how to get rid of SosoDesk, read the article bellow.
Main Domain Address
|The easiest way to remove and other browser hijackers from your computer is with the help of an anti-malware tool. This software will also protect your computer from severe cyber threats like ransomware|
|You can remove the browser hijacker by hand by carefully following all the guidelines of our step-by-step guide below.|
|PUPs, malicious ads, bundle packs.|
How Did I Get SosoDesktop(.com) on My PC?
The most straightforward way for SosoDesk to get into your system is to download it directly from the SosoDesktop(.com) website. Another way of distribution is from bundle packs, which is a little more complicated. It works by attaching PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) to the install file of a useful application. If the user isn’t careful while installing the useful program, he might end up installing a bundle of PUPs along with it. The option to install the PUPs is enabled by default and it’s hidden under the Custom or Advanced sections of the install file.
Another popular way of distributing browser hijackers and other unwanted programs is by putting malicious redirects in Internet ads. Users can unwittingly click on an ad, which will download an unwanted program, containing PUPs. Avoid clicking on advertisements located into suspicious sites, especially if they contain pirated content or pornography.
SosoDesktop(.com) Browser Hijacker – In Detail
The SosoDesktop(.com) webpage is the main page of the browser hijacker. The PUP containing the hijacker can be downloaded from there.
Here’s how the page looks like:
If your browser gets hijacked by SosoDesk, your homepage would likely be switched to Search.Sosodesktop(.com). Pages like this are often called “hoax search engines.” That is to say, a search engine, likely distributed through a browser hijacker, that tricks users into using it, despite its low quality. Search.Soso(.com) loads very slowly, lacks a lot of features provided by more legitimate search engines like search tools, news section, or site encryption.
You can see the search engine’s design bellow
As we said, Search.Sosodesktop(.com) loads all searches very slowly compared to search engines like Google or Bing. In addition to that, it displays more advertisements, and our team couldn’t get any results in the “Video” section of the search results.
- Their first and last names
- Their company’s name
- Email addresses
- Telephone number
- Their Location; country, and city
|Activity||Changes your browser’s settings, displays ads, slows down your Web browsing|
|Spread||Bundled Packs, Direct Downloads|
|Defensive Measure||To learn more about how to remove this harmful application, you should follow the instructions bellow thoroughly and try to restore your browser’s settings.|
SosoDesktop(.com) Browser Hijacker – Complete Removal
The most effective way for getting rid of the SosoDesk browser hijacker is to erase all its files from your computer. You can do that by; it’s component manually, one by one. That’s time-consuming and can lead to some errors, or using an anti-malware program that will do the job for you. The second option is quicker and more secure. The guide provided bellow gives you some more information on how to deal with SosoDesk.
How to Enter Safe Mode
Booting Into Safe Mode in the Windows XP, Vista, 7 operating systems
- Unplug devices such as USB flash drives, Memory Sticks, DVD’s, CD’s, anything that can be bootable
- Now you have to decide which of the following methods is right for your computer. If you have:
- –One operating system on your PC, then press F8 repeatedly when you see the first boot screen after restarting your computer. If the Windows logo appears, repeat the same action until you enter the
–Multiple operating systems on your computer. This is very similar to booting with a single operating system. Press F8 repeatedly when you see the first boot screen. You just have to use the arrow keys to choose which system you should boot.
- When the Advanced Boot Options appear, you should select the Safe Mode option with the arrow keys. Confirm the selection by pressing Enter
- Log into your computer using the Administrator account
While you’re in safe mode, your screen will be windowed.
Booting into Safe Mode on the Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 Operating Systems
- Open the Start menu
- Hold down the Shift button and left-click on the Power icon, then click Restart
- After the reboot, the Startup menu will appear. From there, choose Troubleshoot
- From the Troubleshoot menu choose Advanced Options
- Once you’re in Advanced Options, click on Startup Settings
- Click Restart
- A menu should appear after the reboot. Choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding key number. The PC will restart and boot into Safe Mode.
Remove/Uninstall SosoDesktop(.com) from Windows
Here’s a way to remove the program. This method will work regardless if you’re on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP. Simply selecting the program and pressing delete won’t work, as it’ll leave a lot of small files. That’s bad because these leftovers can linger on and cause all sorts of problems. The best way to delete a program is to Uninstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
- Hold the “Windows” button (It’s between CTRL and Alt on most keyboards) and press “R.” You’ll see a pop-up window
- In the textbox, type “appwiz.cpl”, then press “Enter.”
- The “Programs and features” menu should now appear. It’s a list of all the programs installed on the PC. Here you can find the program, select it, and press Uninstall.
Follow these instructions and you’ll be able to uninstall it successfully.
How to Remove SosoDesktop(.com) from Your Browser
Before resetting your browser’s settings, you should know that this action will wipe out all your recorded usernames, passwords, and other types of data. Make sure to save them in some way
- Start Internet Explorer
- Go to the Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons.
- In the Manage add-ons window, bellow Add-on Types, select Toolbars and Extensions
- If you see a suspicious toolbar, select it and click Disable
- In Manage Add-ons window, in Add-on Types, Select Search Providers
- Chose a search engine and click Set as default
- Select the unknown search engine and click Remove and Close
- Open the Tools menu, select Internet Options
- In the General tab, in Home page, enter your preferred page
- Click Apply and OK
- On the desktop, right-click on Internet Explorer icon and select Properties
- In the Properties window, under the Shortcut tab, in Target delete the text after iexplore.exe
- Click Apply, click OK to save
- Click Close
- Start Google Chrome
- On the upper-right corner, there a Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon. Click on it, then click on Settings
- Click Extension under Chrome
- In the Extensions menu, click on the unknown extensions, then click on the trash bin icon
- Under Chrome, Click on Settings
- In Settings, under on Startup click Set pages
- In the Startup pages menu, select the suspicious entries and click on X
- Click OK
- In Settings, under Appearance select the Show home button and click Change
- In the Home page menu, click Use New Tab page and press OK
- In the Settings window under Search, click on Manage search engines
- Once you enter Search engines, select your search engine of choice and click Make default
- In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on X
- Click Done
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select Add-ons
- Inside the Add-ons Manager select Extensions
- Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click Disable
- Click on the Open menu icon, then click Options
- In the Options window, under General tab, Click Restore to Default
- Click OK
- In the Firefox window, right next to the URL field, click the down arrow icon. Select Manage Search Engines
- In Manage Search Engines List window, select the unknown search engine and press Remove
- Click OK