PopAds.net is a potential adware site. The domain belongs to the Costa Rica-based advertising company Tomksoft S.A. The site PopAds.net may be attached to your browser without your knowledge. This is often called “browser hijacking” and can affect almost all popular browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft’s Edge, Opera, and Safari. If you have content from the PopAds.net site on your browsing programs, then you should remove it. Here’s how!
Main Domain Address
|The easiest way to remove PopAds.Net and other browser hijackers from your computer is with the help of an anti-malware tool. This software will also protect your computer from severe cyber threats like ransomware|
|You can remove the browser hijacker by hand by carefully following all the guidelines of our step-by-step guide below.|
|PUPs, malicious ads, bundle packs.|
PopAds.net – How Did I Get It?
The favorite trick of “infecting” users with a browser hijacking software like PopAds.net is to bundle it with a somewhat useful freeware program. Memory cleaners, virtual ISO drives, and file organizers often include content similar to PopAds.net.
The browser hijacking “infection” usually isn’t an infection at all. That’s because users grant permission to the hijacking programs without knowing it.
The install wizards of freeware programs often include options that are enabled by default. If you don’t opt out of them, the malicious software will be installed. Users should always check the Advanced, Custom, or Slow routes of installing programs and uncheck any unwanted bundle software.
PopAds.net – In Detail
A browser hijacked by PopAds.net will display more ads connected to the Tomksoft S.A. advertising agency. The browser hijacker remains a favorite trick among second-rate Web advertisers. The very name of this site is referencing the hated pop-up ads method of Internet promotion.
The PopAds.net redirects are a way of tracking and directing traffic towards certain ads. The creators of the browser hijacker operate on a pay-per-click basic, which means that they’ll want to control internet traffic towards their clients.
PopAds.net will also collect certain information from their client in order to share it with affiliates. This data improves the targeting of ads. The collected information may include:
- The names of users
- IP addresses
- Physical Location
- Personal Interest
- Other data, like your age, gender, and more
In all honesty, sites like Google, Bing, and Yahoo also collect a massive amount of personal information, but at least they don’t push it through browser hijackers, provide a useful service, and don’t slow down your browser with redirects.
PopAds.Net – How to Remove and Protect Your PC from Similar Sites
You can remove the PopAds.net browser hijacker redirect by following the technical removal tutorial guide below. This will take care of the problem for the time being, but your PC will still be exposed to browser hijackers, redirecting software, and even ransomware viruses.
A great way of protecting yourself from these cyber-threats is to download an anti-malware program, a system scanning tool that can find and eliminate malicious software.
How to Remove PopAds.Net?
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete PopAds.Net completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the browser hijacker so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Remove PopAds.Net from Windows
Here’s a way to remove the program. This method will work regardless if you’re on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP. Simply selecting the program and pressing delete won’t work, as it’ll leave a lot of small files. That’s bad because these leftovers can linger on and cause all sorts of problems. The best way to delete a program is to uninstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
- 1) Hold the “Windows” button (It’s between CTRL and Alt on most keyboards) and press “R”. You’ll see a pop-up window.
- 2) In the textbox, type “appwiz.cpl”, then press“ Enter ”.
- 3) The “Programs and features” menu should now appear. It’s a list of all the programs installed on the PC. Here you can find the malicious program, select it, and press “Uninstall“.
STEP III: Remove PopAds.Net From Your Browser
Before resetting your browser’s settings, you should know that this action will wipe out all your recorded usernames, passwords, and other types of data. Make sure to save them in some way.
- 1) Start Mozilla Firefox. In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select “Add-ons“.
- 2) Inside the Add-ons Manager select “Extensions“. Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click “Remove“.
- 3) Click again on the Open menu icon, then click “Options“.
- 4) In the Options window, under “General” tab, click “Restore to Default“.
- 5) Select “Search” in the left menu, mark the unknown search engine and press “Remove”.
- 1) Start Google Chrome. On the upper-right corner, there a “Customize and Control” menu icon. Click on it, then click on “Settings“.
- 2) Click “Extensions” in the left menu. Then click on the trash bin icon to remove the suspicious extension.
- 3) Again in the left menu, under Chrome, Click on “Settings“. Go under “On Startup” and set a new page.
- 4) Afterward, scroll down to “Search“, click on “Manage search engines“.
- 5) In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on “X“. Then select your search engine of choice and click “Make default“. When you are ready click “Done” button in the right bottom corner.
- 1) Start Internet Explorer. Go to the “Tools” menu and click on “Manage add-ons“.
- 2) In the “Manage add-ons” window, below “Add-on Types“, select “Toolbars and Extensions“. If you see a suspicious toolbar, select it and click “Remove“.
- 3) Then again in the “Manage Add-ons” window, in “Add-on Types“, Select “Search Providers“. Chose a search engine and click “Set as default“. Select the unknown search engine and click “Remove and Close”.
- 4) Open the Tools menu, select “Internet Options”.
- 5) In the “General” tab, in “Home page”, enter your preferred page. Click “Apply” and “OK”.
STEP IV: Remove Completely PopAds.Net Browser Hijacker Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
Further help for Windows Registry repair
STEP VI: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.