MaskSearch.com is generic browser hijacking tool. The site is a hoax search engine that aims to replace your homepage and collect your search engine data and browser history. MaskSearch.com is not a serious threat, but it can be annoying and should be removed as soon as possible.
Main Domain Address
|Skip all steps and remove the MaskSearch hijacker with an anti-malware tool.|
|You can remove the browser hijacker by hand by carefully following all the guidelines of our step-by-step guide below.|
|PUPs, malicious ads, bundle packs.|
MaskSearch.com Browser Hijacker – The Problematic Nature of PUPs
Browser hijackers like MaskSearch.com are often spread with the legitimate but unethical tactic of package bundling. While installing a program, many users opt for the quicker routes (the Easy, Fast, Normal options.) This authorizes the program to take a few decisions for you, like where to put the files, what settings to set, and, most importantly, whether to install additional tools and programs.
That is what gets you. The program attaches the hijacker to your Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft’s Edge, Opera, or other browsers. This tactic can also attach weird extensions and applications.
MaskSearch.com Browser Hijacker and Why Should Remove It
The main problem with browser hijacker is the disruption of the regular workings of your browser. We all require a good Internet surfing program for our daily life and work. That process includes a lot of Googling. A page like MaskSearch.com makes it more difficult by replacing your preferred search engine with a low-quality alternative.
Here’s how to the main page of the browser hijacker looks like:
As you can see, the page has a fairly generic design comparable to Google or Yahoo Search. This is done to fool the users into thinking that maybe the change was due to an update or something similar. There are many people who don’t even bother changing back to their old browser.
Surprisingly, MaskSearch.com is better than the regular browser hijacker as it claims to not collect cookies and the site is encrypted. This doesn’t make it safe, though. The shady method of distribution is enough to warrant a deletion.
MaskSearch.com Browser Hijacker and How To Remove It
The removal of the MaskSearch.com is a fairly simple task. All you have to do is download an anti-malware tool, scan your system for free, and remove the threat. The tool will also protect your computer from future hijackers, ransomware, and malware.
How to Remove MaskSearch?
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete MaskSearch completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the browser hijacker so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Remove MaskSearch from Windows
Here’s a way to remove the program. This method will work regardless if you’re on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP. Simply selecting the program and pressing delete won’t work, as it’ll leave a lot of small files. That’s bad because these leftovers can linger on and cause all sorts of problems. The best way to delete a program is to uninstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
- 1) Hold the “Windows” button (It’s between CTRL and Alt on most keyboards) and press “R”. You’ll see a pop-up window.
- 2) In the textbox, type “appwiz.cpl”, then press“ Enter ”.
- 3) The “Programs and features” menu should now appear. It’s a list of all the programs installed on the PC. Here you can find the malicious program, select it, and press “Uninstall“.
STEP III: Remove MaskSearch From Your Browser
Before resetting your browser’s settings, you should know that this action will wipe out all your recorded usernames, passwords, and other types of data. Make sure to save them in some way.
- 1) Start Mozilla Firefox. In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select “Add-ons“.
- 2) Inside the Add-ons Manager select “Extensions“. Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click “Remove“.
- 3) Click again on the Open menu icon, then click “Options“.
- 4) In the Options window, under “General” tab, click “Restore to Default“.
- 5) Select “Search” in the left menu, mark the unknown search engine and press “Remove”.
- 1) Start Google Chrome. On the upper-right corner, there a “Customize and Control” menu icon. Click on it, then click on “Settings“.
- 2) Click “Extensions” in the left menu. Then click on the trash bin icon to remove the suspicious extension.
- 3) Again in the left menu, under Chrome, Click on “Settings“. Go under “On Startup” and set a new page.
- 4) Afterward, scroll down to “Search“, click on “Manage search engines“.
- 5) In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on “X“. Then select your search engine of choice and click “Make default“. When you are ready click “Done” button in the right bottom corner.
- 1) Start Internet Explorer. Go to the “Tools” menu and click on “Manage add-ons“.
- 2) In the “Manage add-ons” window, below “Add-on Types“, select “Toolbars and Extensions“. If you see a suspicious toolbar, select it and click “Remove“.
- 3) Then again in the “Manage Add-ons” window, in “Add-on Types“, Select “Search Providers“. Chose a search engine and click “Set as default“. Select the unknown search engine and click “Remove and Close”.
- 4) Open the Tools menu, select “Internet Options”.
- 5) In the “General” tab, in “Home page”, enter your preferred page. Click “Apply” and “OK”.
STEP IV: Remove Completely MaskSearch Browser Hijacker Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
Further help for Windows Registry repair
STEP VI: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.