The L33TAF Locker ransomware is a new malware which is created by a famous criminal developer. To learn more about the threat continue reading our removal guide. It will show you how you can remove infections from your computer and how to protect yourself from emerging threats.
|You can skip all steps and remove L33TAF Locker with the help of an anti-malware tool.|
|L33TAF Locker ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|Spam Email Campaigns, malicious ads & etc.|
L33TAF Locker Ransomware Description
The L33TAF Locker Ransomware is a new screenlocker malware threat created by the infamous malware developer staffttt. Currently the virus is still under investigation and its origins are not known.
After a succesful intrusion on the host machine the malware executes its encryption engine which targets specific user files. The compromised files receive the .l33tAF extension. The virus uses the AES-256 and the RSA ciphers. Among them are the following file types:
MS Office documents, PDF files, databases, photos, music, video files, configuration files and etc.
After the encryption is complete the virus crafs a ransomware note in the YOU_HAVE_BEEN_HACKED.txt file. Its contents display the following message:
Your files have been encrypted with L33TAF Locker!!!
Seeking technical help won’t work because your files are encrypted with AES256/RSA4096 which is known as military grade encryption, it is impossible to retrieve your files without the decryption key!!!!!!!!!
If you want your files back you must pay a ransom of 5 btc to the address below
BTC address: 18vkm*****
After paying the ransom, contact [email protected] and send 1 encrypted file from your machine.
When your payment is confirmed we will send you a decryption software specifically made for your machine.
If you fail to pay the ransom in 48 hours your decryption key will be destroyed and your files will remain encrypted forever!!!!!
The criminal developer extorts the sum of 5 Bitcoins from the victims.
L33TAF Locker Ransomware Distribution
The L33TAF Locker Ransomware threat targets mainly English-speaking users. Its first samples have been detected in December 2016 and it has been used in attack campaigns since its inception.
The main infection methods are spam email campaigns that host the malicious binary files. The ransomware can also be found on infected fake software installers, bundles and updates that are available on various download sites and P2P networks.
L33TAF Locker Ransomware Removal
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete L33TAF Locker completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely L33TAF Locker Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 1) Use present backups
2) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.