The spiritual successor of the Petya and Mischa ransomware viruses is here, and it’s called Goldeneye. The name is taken from the 1995 James Bond picture GoldenEye. The initial breakout of the virus is rumored to have occurred in Germany. If infected, the files of your computer will be encrypted, making them useless without decryption. Luckily, there are ways to combat the virus, which will be explored in this article.
|You can skip all steps and remove Goldeneye with the help of an anti-malware tool.|
|Goldeneye ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|Email Spam, exploit kits.|
Goldeneye Ransomware Virus – What does it do?
The Goldeneye virus is likely distributed with the help of spammed emails, adware campaigns, or by click-jacking. The first option is the likeliest. The spammed emails probably contain Archive attachments with infected documents, pictures, or other file types.
Once Goldeneye is in your system, its going to start making changes to the computer. To be effective, the ransomware needs to start along with the Windows boot. To do this, the virus will tweak some registry keys.
The virus will display the following note on your computer:
The hardisks of your computer have been encrypted with an military grade encryption algorithm. There is no way to restore your data without a special key. You can purchase this key on the darknet page shown in step 2.
To purchase your key and restore your data, please follow these three easy steps:
1. Download Tor Browser . If you need help please google for “access onion page”.
2. Visit one of the following pages with the Tor browser :
[page link] [page link] 3. Enter your personal decryption code there:
If you already purchased your key, please enter it below.
Our advice is to ignore this message and search for alternative methods to remove the virus. You can see the two best options below.
How To Prevent GoldenEye Ransomware Virus
Once the virus is inside your computer, it becomes very difficult to fix the damage. That’s why it’s best to prevent it from getting into your system. You can do this by:
- Never opening suspicious emails in your inbox
- Avoiding suspicious sites, especially if they contain pirated content or porn videos
This quarter has the largest number of ransomware infections in history. This isn’t due to the lack of viable protection method, but because people neglect their cyber security.
Goldeneye Ransomware Removal
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete Goldeneye completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely Goldeneye Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 1) Use present backups
2) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.