Searchshield(.co) is a browser hijacker that can modify your computer’s settings to insert itself into your web browsing program of choice. It can also redirect your searches, change the default homepage and add a new tab page of your browser. If you want to restore your browser and continue using the internet without interruptions from the hijackers, you’ll find all the necessary information here.
Main Domain Address
|The easiest way to remove and other browser hijackers from your computer is with the help of an anti-malware tool. This software will also protect your computer from severe cyber threats like ransomware|
|You can remove the browser hijacker by hand by carefully following all the guidelines of our step-by-step guide below.|
|PUPs, malicious ads, bundle packs.|
Searchshield(.Co) – the Distribution Methods
Browser hijackers like Searchshield(.co) use a variety of tricks to infiltrate user’s PC. The most common way is the bundle pack. What is a bundle pack, you may ask? It’s a simple, but quite effective way to sneak crapware (useless software) into people’s computers. It works by including crapware into the install file of an otherwise useful program, like a video player, or a virtual drive software. Most users chose the Express or Typical install option and don’t even notice that by doing that, they agree to the installation of a browser hijacker. You can simply opt out of installing the hijacker by choosing the Custom or Advanced routes and deselecting any attachments and “extras.” They’re often crapware so that you wouldn’t miss out on anything.
You may have downloaded Searchshield(.co) on some nasty internet ad that you’ve clicked by mistake. Beware of advertising on shady websites (a.i. porn sites, torrent trackers, click-bait sites.) Some of the affected browsers are Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Microsoft’s Edge. Other browsers can also be hijacked.
Searchshield(.co) – More Details
The Searchshield(.co) starting page is made to look like your run-of-the-mill search engine. There are some small details that the trained eye can see. For starters, the site works very slowly, lacks search suggestions and search tools.
Here’s a screenshot of the Searchshield(.co) homepage:
The search engine works very slowly and displays a comically large amount of ads. That’s always a red light.
Here’s screenshot of the search results:
Searchshield(.co) also collects a variety of user data. That data may include personal information like:
- Your name
- IP address
- ZIP code
- Email address
- Social media accounts
Few people would use such a site voluntarily. After all, not only does Searchshield(.co) collect personal information, but it’ll also a very low-quality search engine. It’s slow, and it has few features that would make it preferable. So the developers of Searchshield(.co) have to rely on browser hijackers to spread their site.
After all, we’ve learned about Searchshield(.co) the only logical course of action is to delete the browser hijacker from your computer.
Serachshield(.co) – Removal Tutorial
Luckily, removing a browser hijacker isn’t too complicated; you just have to erase all its components from your PC. We have provided a tutorial bellow which will guide you through the process. If you’re not completely confident in your tech skills, you should download an ant-malware tool that will do the jobs for you, with the bonus of keeping your system safe in the future.
How to Enter Safe Mode
Booting Into Safe Mode in the Windows XP, Vista, 7 operating systems
- Unplug devices such as USB flash drives, Memory Sticks, DVD’s, CD’s, anything that can be bootable
- Now you have to decide which of the following methods is right for your computer. If you have:
- –One operating system on your PC, then press F8 repeatedly when you see the first boot screen after restarting your computer. If the Windows logo appears, repeat the same action until you enter the
–Multiple operating systems on your computer. This is very similar to booting with a single operating system. Press F8 repeatedly when you see the first boot screen. You just have to use the arrow keys to choose which system you should boot.
- When the Advanced Boot Options appear, you should select the Safe Mode option with the arrow keys. Confirm the selection by pressing Enter
- Log into your computer using the Administrator account
While you’re in safe mode, your screen will be windowed.
Booting into Safe Mode on the Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 Operating Systems
- Open the Start menu
- Hold down the Shift button and left-click on the Power icon, then click Restart
- After the reboot, the Startup menu will appear. From there, choose Troubleshoot
- From the Troubleshoot menu choose Advanced Options
- Once you’re in Advanced Options, click on Startup Settings
- Click Restart
- A menu should appear after the reboot. Choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding key number. The PC will restart and boot into Safe Mode.
Remove/Uninstall Searchshield(.Co) from Windows
Here’s a way to remove the program. This method will work regardless if you’re on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP. Simply selecting the program and pressing delete won’t work, as it’ll leave a lot of small files. That’s bad because these leftovers can linger on and cause all sorts of problems. The best way to delete a program is to Uninstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
- Hold the “Windows” button (It’s between CTRL and Alt on most keyboards) and press “R.” You’ll see a pop-up window
- In the textbox, type “appwiz.cpl”, then press “Enter.”
- The “Programs and features” menu should now appear. It’s a list of all the programs installed on the PC. Here you can find the program, select it, and press Uninstall.
Follow these instructions and you’ll be able to uninstall it successfully.
How to Remove Searchshield(.Co) from Your Browser
Before resetting your browser’s settings, you should know that this action will wipe out all your recorded usernames, passwords, and other types of data. Make sure to save them in some way
- Start Internet Explorer
- Go to the Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons.
- In the Manage add-ons window, bellow Add-on Types, select Toolbars and Extensions
- If you see a suspicious toolbar, select it and click Disable
- In Manage Add-ons window, in Add-on Types, Select Search Providers
- Chose a search engine and click Set as default
- Select the unknown search engine and click Remove and Close
- Open the Tools menu, select Internet Options
- In the General tab, in Home page, enter your preferred page
- Click Apply and OK
- On the desktop, right-click on Internet Explorer icon and select Properties
- In the Properties window, under the Shortcut tab, in Target delete the text after iexplore.exe
- Click Apply, click OK to save
- Click Close
- Start Google Chrome
- On the upper-right corner, there a Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon. Click on it, then click on Settings
- Click Extension under Chrome
- In the Extensions menu, click on the unknown extensions, then click on the trash bin icon
- Under Chrome, Click on Settings
- In Settings, under on Startup click Set pages
- In the Startup pages menu, select the suspicious entries and click on X
- Click OK
- In Settings, under Appearance select the Show home button and click Change
- In the Home page menu, click Use New Tab page and press OK
- In the Settings window under Search, click on Manage search engines
- Once you enter Search engines, select your search engine of choice and click Make default
- In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on X
- Click Done
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select Add-ons
- Inside the Add-ons Manager select Extensions
- Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click Disable
- Click on the Open menu icon, then click Options
- In the Options window, under General tab, Click Restore to Default
- Click OK
- In the Firefox window, right next to the URL field, click the down arrow icon. Select Manage Search Engines
- In Manage Search Engines List window, select the unknown search engine and press Remove
- Click OK