The ZXZ Ransomware is a new threat that has just been identified by security researchers, learn more about the virus in our in-depth removal guide and learn how to protect your computer in the future.
|You can skip all steps and remove ZXZ with the help of an anti-malware tool.|
|ZXZ ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|Spam Email Campaigns, malicious ads & etc.|
ZXZ Ransomware Description
ZXZ Ransomware is a new virus threat that has just been identified by the security community.
It is of unknown origin, at this moment there is not enough information about it and we cannot judge if it a strain of a malware family.
We assume that the ZXZ ransomware follows the usual behavior patterns – the encryption engine targets specific file types and extorts the users for a ransomware fee to restore their files.
It is typical for viruses like this one to target the most widely used file types which include the following: multimedia files (videos, photos and music), documents, backups, configuration files and etc.
ZXZ Ransomware Distribution
ZXZ Ransomware was first spotted in Januart 2017, being primarily aimed at English-speaking users worldwide. We know of infections that have happened in Saudi Arabia.
We assume that the primary infection methods that the ZXZ ransomware uses include: spam email messages, browser hijackers, malicious ads, infected installers and etc.
ZXZ Ransomware – How To Remove it and Prevent It From Coming Back
There are two ways of removal:
- With an anti-malware tool – this will also help prevention
- Manually – using the instructions below
ZXZ Ransomware Removal
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete ZXZ completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely ZXZ Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 1) Use present backups
2) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.