A new variant of the Locky ransomware family has been detected, the latest iteration is known as the .SHIT Locky Ransomware. Follow our guide to learn about this new strain and how to remove existing infections from your computer.
|.SHIT LOCKY Ransomware|
|You can opt to remove the threat more easily by using a trusted anti-spyware tool that can both remove and protect against further threats.|
|.SHIT Locky ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|The attacks so far have been carried out against software vulnerabilities.|
.SHIT Locky Ransomware Description
Security Researchers have just spotted a new strain of the Locky ransomware family. This continuing evolution of the malware threat shows that the hackers are actively devising new ways to improve the existing source code. The .SHIT Locky ransomware as it is called is currently under active investigation as we have just witnessed the first samples of infections.
According to the security researcher Warren Mercer from Cisco Talos Security the malware samples have been successfully analyzed using the LockyDump utility. This confirms that the code is compatible with the rest of the Locky family.
Depending on the complexity of the virus, there may be only slight changes in it. At the current moment the only information about the threat is that it appends the. “.shit” file name extension. There are several C&C malicious servers online with the following IP addresses:
The used encryption key is RSA with a bit length of 2049 bytes. What is more interesting about the ransomware is that it has a flag “Ignore Russian Machines” with a toggle value. This is activated in the first attack campaigns, meaning that computers that run the Russian language pack are not infected with the ransomware.
This could indicate that the .SHIT Locky ransomware is of Russian origin.
Various anti-virus vendors are currently adding the new variant to their threat databases. Right now 11 out of 54 security products can identify the new strain.
.SHIT Locky Ransomware Distribution
The first security reports indicate that the initial attacks were aimed at several countries at once – Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Poland, France, the United Kingdom and Germany. The data shows that they occurred in 10 PM UTC time yesterday which means that the malware strain is relatively new.
The initial attack was carried against several countries at once which means that we expect further attacks coming in via different distribution methods. We expect to see the new .SHIT Locky ransomware in spam email campaigns, malicious ads and botnet attacks.
Just like many other strains of the Locky family we might even see hackers seeking vulnerabilities via exploit kits that carry the .Shit Locky ransomware as a payload. The Sundown Exploit Kit may have been used to distribute this malware threat, click here to learn more about it.
The first attacks were made probably made against web servers because the callback path in the code links to a linuxsucks.php file.
.SHIT LOCKY Ransomware Removal
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete .SHIT LOCKY completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely .SHIT LOCKY Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 1) Use present backups
2) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.