Monsear . xyz is the main page of a browser hijacker dubbed Start4u. This type of malicious programs aims to collect data and distribute unwanted ads. The surest signs of a hijacked browser are automatic changes to your homepage, default search engine, and a new toolbar. To learn how to combat this cyber-threat, read the article bellow. It contains detailed information on how you can remove Start4u from your system.
Main Domain Address
|The easiest way to remove Start4u and other browser hijackers from your computer is with the help of an anti-malware tool. This software will also protect your computer from severe cyber threats like ransomware|
|You can remove the browser hijacker by hand by carefully following all the guidelines of our step-by-step guide below.|
|PUPs, malicious ads, bundle packs.|
Start4u Browser Hijacker – Distribution Methods
Start4u is a standard browser hijacker, which means that the most likely way to contract it is by installing a freeware program with bundle packs. It works like this – a developer offers a legitimate program that includes the option of installing “extra” content. Most browser hijacker developers claim to improve their users’ internet surfing by adding this type of annoying programs. This option is hidden under the Advanced or Custom parts of the installing setup. Always check these options, it’s the best way to prevent PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) from getting into your computer. Good content creators rarely use this method, so it’s prudent to deselect any program in the hidden sections. Browsers that can be affected include Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft’s Edge, and Google Chrome.
Start4u Browser Hijacker – More Details
Monsear . xyz is the main page of the homepage of the Start4u browser hijacker. It’s a generic looking search engine – a search bar with site logos underneath. Hoax search engines use similar designs quite often, though it’s rare that the company logos don’t have links attached.
This is how the Start4u homepage looks like:
The browser hijacker may slow down your browser’s speed. In addition to that, your default search engine might be changed to Monsear . xyz, which is a very inefficient, poorly designed site, which is not only slow, it’s also riddled with sponsored ads, which might lead to dangerous redirects.
- E-mail addresses
- ZIP codes
- Personal Interests
Anything you type in this search engine could be stored and sold to whoever’s buying. The end-goal of most crooks who use his type of malicious software is often profit, and they don’t care who gets your personal information. That’s why you should remove the Start4u browser hijacker.
Start4u Browser Hijacker – Removal Tutorial
You can remove the Start4u browser hijacker you should erase all its components from your PC. You can choose the long way round by locating and erasing every single file the hijacker uses. The quicker option is to download an anti-malware tool that would do that automatically.
How to Enter Safe Mode
Booting Into Safe Mode in the Windows XP, Vista, 7 operating systems
- Unplug devices such as USB flash drives, Memory Sticks, DVD’s, CD’s, anything that can be bootable
- Now you have to decide which of the following methods is right for your computer. If you have:
- –One operating system on your PC, then press F8 repeatedly when you see the first boot screen after restarting your computer. If the Windows logo appears, repeat the same action until you enter the
–Multiple operating systems on your computer. This is very similar to booting with a single operating system. Press F8 repeatedly when you see the first boot screen. You just have to use the arrow keys to choose which system you should boot.
- When the Advanced Boot Options appear, you should select the Safe Mode option with the arrow keys. Confirm the selection by pressing Enter
- Log into your computer using the Administrator account
While you’re in safe mode, your screen will be windowed.
Booting into Safe Mode on the Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 Operating Systems
- Open the Start menu
- Hold down the Shift button and left-click on the Power icon, then click Restart
- After the reboot, the Startup menu will appear. From there, choose Troubleshoot
- From the Troubleshoot menu choose Advanced Options
- Once you’re in Advanced Options, click on Startup Settings
- Click Restart
- A menu should appear after the reboot. Choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding key number. The PC will restart and boot into Safe Mode.
Remove/Uninstall Start4u from Windows
Here’s a way to remove the program. This method will work regardless if you’re on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP. Simply selecting the program and pressing delete won’t work, as it’ll leave a lot of small files. That’s bad because these leftovers can linger on and cause all sorts of problems. The best way to delete a program is to Uninstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
- Hold the “Windows” button (It’s between CTRL and Alt on most keyboards) and press “R.” You’ll see a pop-up window
- In the textbox, type “appwiz.cpl”, then press “Enter.”
- The “Programs and features” menu should now appear. It’s a list of all the programs installed on the PC. Here you can find the program, select it, and press Uninstall.
Follow these instructions and you’ll be able to uninstall it successfully.
How to Remove Start4u from Your Browser
Before resetting your browser’s settings, you should know that this action will wipe out all your recorded usernames, passwords, and other types of data. Make sure to save them in some way
- Start Internet Explorer
- Go to the Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons.
- In the Manage add-ons window, bellow Add-on Types, select Toolbars and Extensions
- If you see a suspicious toolbar, select it and click Disable
- In Manage Add-ons window, in Add-on Types, Select Search Providers
- Chose a search engine and click Set as default
- Select the unknown search engine and click Remove and Close
- Open the Tools menu, select Internet Options
- In the General tab, in Home page, enter your preferred page
- Click Apply and OK
- On the desktop, right-click on Internet Explorer icon and select Properties
- In the Properties window, under the Shortcut tab, in Target delete the text after iexplore.exe
- Click Apply, click OK to save
- Click Close
- Start Google Chrome
- On the upper-right corner, there a Customize and Control Google Chrome menu icon. Click on it, then click on Settings
- Click Extension under Chrome
- In the Extensions menu, click on the unknown extensions, then click on the trash bin icon
- Under Chrome, Click on Settings
- In Settings, under on Startup click Set pages
- In the Startup pages menu, select the suspicious entries and click on X
- Click OK
- In Settings, under Appearance select the Show home button and click Change
- In the Home page menu, click Use New Tab page and press OK
- In the Settings window under Search, click on Manage search engines
- Once you enter Search engines, select your search engine of choice and click Make default
- In the default search settings list, find the unknown search engine and click on X
- Click Done
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- In the upper right corner, click on the Open menu icon and select Add-ons
- Inside the Add-ons Manager select Extensions
- Search the list of extensions for suspicious entries. If you find any, select them and click Disable
- Click on the Open menu icon, then click Options
- In the Options window, under General tab, Click Restore to Default
- Click OK
- In the Firefox window, right next to the URL field, click the down arrow icon. Select Manage Search Engines
- In Manage Search Engines List window, select the unknown search engine and press Remove
- Click OK