Malware creators have released a new HDDCryptor ransomware threat which has been used in various coordinated attacks against computer owners worldwide. To learn more about the virus read our removal guide.
|You can skip all steps and remove HDDCryptor with the help of an anti-malware tool.|
|HDDCryptor ransomware can be removed manually, though it can be very hard for most home users. See the detailed tutorial below.|
|Spam Email Campaigns, malicious ads & etc.|
HDDCryptor Ransomware Description
Malware developers have released a new iteration of the HDDCryptor ransoomwre which has been used in large-scale attacks against various targets. One of the targets is presumed to be the one that was launched against the San Francisco Municipial Transport Agency.
Upon infection the HDDCryptor ransomware creates a path located “C:\Users\WWW” where malicious files are stored and the encryption engine is started from there. It encrypts not only local files but also any available and mounted network shares via the SMB (Samba) protocol.
The malware operators of the virus use emails to contact and blackmail the victims. A sample message is shown below:
Your HDD Encrypted by AES 2048Bit
Send 1BTC To My Bitcoin Wallet, then we give you Decryption key for Your Server HDD!!
We Only Accept Bitcoim, it’s So easy!
you can use Brokers to exchange your money to BTC ASAP
It’s Fast way!
If You Don’t Have a Account in Bitcoin, Read it First:
The virus also creates its own log file which shows what actions it performs:
installing driver succesfully..
Trying to create service…
Creating service succesfully. rebooting windows…
Checking resource existence. They are OK…
driver installed before…
ServiceMain: Performing Service Start Operations
ServiceMain: Waiting for Worked Thread to complete
Starting Mount app…
Checking resources existence. They are OK…
driver installed before…
start hard drive encryption…
After the computer is rebooted the virus modifies the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the hard drive which displays the ransom note.
You Hacked.ALL Data Encrypted. Contact For Key([email protected])ID: 601, Enter
HDDCryptor Ransomware Distribution
The HDDCryptor ransomware primarily infects through software exploits. They train to break through network and computer security via hacking and then manually trigger the malware on the compromised machines.
HDDCryptor Ransomware Removal
For a faster solution, you can run a scan with an advanced malware removal tool and delete HDDCryptor completely with a few mouse clicks.
STEP I: Start the PC in Safe Mode with Network
This will isolate all files and objects created by the ransomware so they will be removed efficiently.
- 1) Hit WIN Key + R
- 2) A Run window will appear. In it, write “msconfig” and then press Enter
3) A Configuration box shall appear. In it Choose the tab named “Boot”
4) Mark “Safe Boot” option and then go to “Network” under it to tick it too
5) Apply -> OK
Or check our video guide – “How to start PC in Safe Mode with Networking”
STEP II: Show Hidden Files
- 1) Open My Computer/This PC
2) Windows 7
- – Click on “Organize” button
– Select “Folder and search options”
– Select the “View” tab
– Go under “Hidden files and folders” and mark “Show hidden files and folders” option
3) Windows 8/ 10
- – Open “View” tab
– Mark “Hidden items” option
4) Click “Apply” and then “OK” button
STEP III: Enter Windows Task Manager and Stop Malicious Processes
- 1) Hit the following key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
2) Get over to “Processes”
3) When you find suspicious process right click on it and select “Open File Location”
4) Go back to Task Manager and end the malicious process. Right click on it again and choose “End Process”
5) Next you should go folder where the malicious file is located and delete it
STEP IV: Remove Completely HDDCryptor Ransomware Using SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter anti-malware tool will diagnose all current threats on the computer. By purchasing the full version, you will be able to remove all malware threats instantly. Additional information about SpyHunter / Help to uninstall SpyHunter
STEP V: Repair Windows Registry
- 1) Again type simultaneously the Windows Button + R key combination
2) In the box, write “regedit”(without the inverted commas) and hit Enter
3) Type the CTRL+F and then write the malicious name in the search type field to locate the malicious executable
4) In case you have discovered registry keys and values related to the name, you should delete them, but be careful not to delete legitimate keys
STEP VI: Recover Encrypted Files
- 1) Use present backups
2) Restore your personal files using File History
- – Hit WIN Key
– Type “restore your files” in the search box
– Select “Restore your files with File History”
– Choose a folder or type the name of the file in the search bar
- – Hit the “Restore” button
3) Using System Restore Point
- – Hit WIN Key
– Select “Open System Restore” and follow the steps
STEP VII: Preventive Security Measures
- 1) Enable and properly configure your Firewall.
2) Install and maintain reliable anti-malware software.
3) Secure your web browser.
4) Check regularly for available software updates and apply them.
5) Disable macros in Office documents.
6) Use strong passwords.
7) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you’re certain they’re safe.
8) Backup regularly your data.